Aitona is a town full of cultural life that has a rich and diverse historical, architectural and archaeological heritage. Its importance and its heritage value have given rise to a large extent have been declared BCIL (Local Cultural Heritage) and BCIN (National Cultural Heritage), recognized by both the Government of Catalonia, that gives legal protection to a category considered the most important assets of the Catalan cultural heritage.
Aitona at parties!
Heritage also be receiving visits, part of the cultural fabric of the town. The realization of festivals, exhibitions, conferences, events and social activities carried out in or around this heritage. Come, meet our heritage and enjoy our culture and our celebrations!
Aitona popular culture!
The appreciation for our fruit has been born Tina and Tano, our giants of the fruit sweeter than we have. Through popular culture with its giants Aitona shows the values and properties of the fruit of the land. The smile of joy and Tano and coquetry Tina make them extremely attractive for children and for adults. They carry around their charm fruiturisme showing their colors: blue water, orange and green land of our fruit trees. Come and meet them and enjoy their dances to the rhythm of crow!
Geno Village BCIL *
Archaeological site of the Bronze Age Final
The top surface has a roughly oval perimeter with rectangular houses arranged around a central space. He became an excellent example of an incipient protourbanisme demonstrating the degree of development of the peoples who inhabited the bottom of the Segre valley around 1200 B.C.
Analyzing the waste ceramic containers, it was determined that they contained beer, The Village Genó being one of the three oldest places in Europe for the production of this drink. The fragments of ceramic materials located at the site, especially the room H2 (see
Figure 2), are in the permanent collections of the Museum of Archaeology of Catalonia and the Lleida Museum.
Castle Aitona (BCIN) and the Moorish Quarter (BCIL)
On the hill overlooking the village are the remains of what was once the Castle of Aitona of Islamic origin, which passed into the hands of the Count of Urgell after the conquest of 1149. The castle will be part of the heritage of Moncada thanks the dowry
brought Constance of Aragon, daughter of King Pedro I, his marriage to Guillem Ramon de Moncada (1212) being the center of his barony, later County (1523) and Marquis (1581).
In 1722, the Dukes of Medina became lords of the barony.
Today, only conserves a defensive triangular structure with circular towers at the corners. The Moncada there built a fortified complex formed by imposing lower precinct, the sovereign, the church and hospital, but will make the historical vicissitudes Castle Aitona end up being dismantled stone by stone for the construction of the new church parish of St. Antolí.
The old walled town of Aitona formed a Sinoga with the street and the neighborhood of the Moorish quarter, the result of a policy of population concentrations that prevailed after the conquest (1145-1149). The berries still retains many vestiges of that era, such as the layout of narrow streets and arches Street Bakery, being an urban Andalusian almost unique in our land.
One of the unique buildings of Moorish, is popularly known as “Casa del Rey Moro”, although it is likely that its owner was a wali or his highest Alburni. The arches of the gallery are the most interesting and most important building and eaves that finishes off the facade in the form of ranges.
Martyr Parish Church Antolí
Temple built during the second half of the eighteenth century, the former
Market Square Aitona by the architect and master builder Josep
Dora according to the plans of Joseph Burr. Being restored at the end
nineteenth century, was consecrated by Bishop Messeguer.
Inside, the temple consists of three ships of the same
height, although the narrow side and a magnificent dome
polygonal. For its construction were used ashlar
materials from the Castle of Moncada, who then
remained without any use.
Antolí Holy Martyr, patron of Aitona (September 2).
Chapel of San Cayetano BCIL *
Temple designed in 1735 by maestro Mariano Batiste and awarded the master builders, Biscarri Augustine. Being a basically rectangular floor building consists of a nave with two side chapels interconnected to each other on each side, a cruise and a presbytery. The cruise, with a hemispherical dome, and the dome, with openings to the outside, providing light in the temple. They are exceptional structure of the heart,
What follows over the side chapels, and carved wooden banister.
San Cayetano (1480-1547), co-skipper of Aitona was beatified in 1629 and consecrated in 1671.
Hermitage of San Juan de Carratalà BCIL *
Romanesque style of the thirteenth century, is a building of a single nave with a barrel vault reinforced by two profile pointed arches. The nave ends to the west, the same width as the nave, with a semicircular apse, something very unusual in such temples, which we can observe the layout of a window offset from the center
symmetry. The main arch is located closer to the apse takes two attached semi walls and corbels on the other arch culdellàntia. On the south side opens a small rectangular chapel. The roof of the building eaves and gable comprises a bevelled molding supported by a frieze smooth corbels, some sculpted with the shield of Moncada.
Saint John, June 24, the town of Aitona celebrates the festival in the Hermitage.